Sunday, October 19, 2008

To the understanding one knowledge is an easy thing

A youth who manages to get passing grades through guessing, cramming or even cheating never really learns how to think. School grades are a major source of anxiety. It can mean the difference between graduating and being left behind, between acquiring a well-paying job and getting only a minimum wage. Test results can reveal areas of strength and weakness of individual students and act as an encouraging device for study. In addition, education means more than racking up points on tests. It means developing a persons thinking ability. It is thus important that you view grades, not as a helpful means of gauging progress at school.
I, as a student sometimes blame my poor performances and failing grades on sources beyond my control, unfair test questions, and prejudiced teacher. Laziness may often be the real reason for my low grades. Good students, however, take responsibility for their learning. Personal motivation helps you keep going. I must put myself on a schedule and organize my time. Yes, how good my grades are depends for the most part, not on factors beyond my control, but on ME – how hard I am willing to study and apply myself in school.
But, this is what some students might claim, including me as well. They sincerely feel they are already working themselves to the bone but not getting any results. Perhaps, you are not studying as hard as you think, and some changes would be in order.
Failing a test especially after studying hard to pass it can devastate my self respect. But educator Max Rafferty reminds us: “As long as we live, we’re graded on what we know, how well we get results. A school that kids the kids into thinking that life are going to be all Roman candles is not a school, it’s a dream factory.” The shame of failing a test may well be worth it if it urges us to learn from our mistakes and improve.
Facts begin to mean something to you, knowledge grows into understanding. “To the understanding one knowledge is an easy thing.” – Proverbs 14:6. As important grades are, they are not the final judgment on your worth as a person. However, take advantage of the time you are in school, and learn as much as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment